On the Front of the 20000 Pesos Banknote or “Viente Mil Pesos” (in Spanish) is depicted a portrait of Andres Bello (1781-1865), painted by French artist Raymond Monovoisin. The painting is anoil on canvas, presently kept at the University of Chile. To the left is a stylised Copihue, the National Flower of Chile.
Chilean Bellflower or “Copihue” (Lapageria rosea): This is the National Flower of Chile. It grows in forests in the Southern part of Chile and is a part of the Valdivian temperate rain forests flora. It is an evergreen climbing plant and reaches over 10 metres high among shrubs and trees. The flowers have six thick waxy tepals which are red, spotted with white. The fruit is an elongated berry with a tough skin containing numerous small seeds covered by an edible fleshy aril.
On the Back of 20000 Pesos Banknote is featured the “Salar de Surire” National Monument or “Monumento Natural Salar de Surire” (in Spanish), located in the extreme North of Chile, in the municipality of Putre in the Arica and Parinacota Region.
On the Front of the 1000 Pesos Banknote or “Mil Pesos” (in Spanish) is depicted a portrait of Ignacio Carrera Pinto (1848-1882) based on a 1982 painting by Juan Manuel Huidobro, kept in the collection of the Military school of the Chilean Army. To the left of the portrait is a design representing the heart of a Copihue, the National Flower of Chile.
On the Back of the 1000 Pesos Banknote is depicted images from the Torres del Paine National Park or “Parque Nacional Torres Del Paine” (in Spanish). The Guanaco, a wild camelid native to the Andes Mountains is also depicted on this face.
1) Historical Evolution of Paper Money (Banknotes) in Chile
2) Brief history of Evolution of Coinage of Chile
1) The Travels of a silver Mexican Peso struck in 1898 and restruck in 1949 for the Chinese Government
2) Brazilian Currency: Brazilian Real
3) The 31st Summer Olympics 2015 or Rio-2016 - Brazil
4) Currency and Coinage of Guatemala
5) Banknotes and Coinage of Colombia (Part I)
6) Banknotes and Coinage of Colombia (Part II)
7) Currency and Coinage of Mexico - Pesos and Centavos (Part I)
8) Currency and Coinage of Mexico - Pesos and Centavos (Part II)
9) Evita or Eva Peron - A Commemorative/Circulating 100 Pesos Banknote issued on her in 2012
10) Currency and Coinage of Peru: Nuevo Sol and Centavo (Part I)
11) Currency and Coinage of Peru: Nuevo Sol and Centavo (Part II)
12) Currency and Coinage of Peru: Nuevo Sol and Centavo (Part III)
13) 2014 FIFA World Cup held at Brazil