In 1989, the United Kingdom first issued non- denominated postage for domestic mail to skirt the incidence of fast changing postal rates. The Royal Mail issued “non-value indicated” (NVI) Machins using textual inscriptions “1st” & “2nd” to indicate the class of service the stamps denoted (Machin series of postage stamps is the main definitive series in the United Kingdom used since 05.06.1967. These stamps were designed by Arnold Machin and have on them the sculpted profile of the Queen with a denomination and are always in a single colour. Machin had also designed the Queen’s bust which was used on British coinage for some time).
Thus, the Forever stamps act as a hedging risk cover against rising costs of stamps at a future date as well as provide a good investment opportunity, apart from being attractive collector’s items.
By 1858, Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas engaged in a series of seven debates one against and the other for slavery respectively. Lincoln said “A house divided against itself cannot stand. I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved, I do not expect the house to fall, but I do expect it will cease to be divided”.
War drums were beating in every town and village and everywhere young men rushed to arms. Few foresaw the horror and magnitude of the struggle.
Bringing to a close the four year conflict between the North and the South, General Robert E. Lee of the Confederacy surrenders to General Ulysses S. Grant of the Union Army at Appomattox Court House, Virginia on 09.04.1865. This & the following B&W pictures are from "An outline of American History" kept in the library of my late father Dr. J.N. Prasad and presently in my collection.
On 12.04.1861, a thunderous explosion broke the silence over Charleston Harbour. Confederates firing upon Fort Sumter began the Civil War.
(The Battle of Fort Sumter fought on 12-14 April 1861, in the State of South Carolina, resulted in a Confederate victory. Beauregard took Charleston Fort, this being the first battle of the American Civil War).
(The First Battle of Bull Run or “First Manassas” fought on 21 July 1861, in the State of Virginia, resulted in a Confederate victory. McDowell lost to J.E. Johnston, Beauregard & Jackson who was called “Stonewall” after this battle).
(The Battle of New Orleans was fought on 25th April to 1st May 1862 in the State of Louisiana. The capture of New Orleans was a major victory for the Union. It placed the Confederacy’s most vital port in Union hands – affecting southern trade, finance and ship-building).
Soon after the crucial Battle of Antietam, Lincoln visited the Union General McCellan at his Field Headquarters for a conference on the war's progress.
(The Battle of Antietam (or the Battle of Sharpsburg) fought on 17 September 1862 near Sharpsburg, Maryland and Antietam Creek, was one of the most important military operations of the Civil War.
Thulstrop’s work was one of a series of popular prints commissioned in the 1880s by Boston publisher Louis Prang & Co. to commemorate the Civil War.
The souvenir sheet includes comments on the war by Abraham Lincoln, Clara Barton, Rufus R. Dawes (a Union soldier), and William Tunnard (a Confederate soldier). It includes some of the lyrics of “Lorena” a popular Civil War song by Henry D.L. Webster and Joseph P. Webster.
1) America the Beautiful Quarters Programme - 2015
2) America the Beautiful Quarters Programme - 2014
3) America the Beautiful Quarters Programme - 2013
4) America the Beautiful Quarters Programme - 2012
5) America the Beautiful Quarters Programme- 2011
6) America the Beautiful Quarters Programme - 2010
7) The Great Seal of the USA
8) State Commemorative Quarters Programme
9) Susan B. Anthony dollar
10) Native American Themed Dollars Programme
11) Westward Journey Nickels Programme
12) New $ 100 Bill with additional Security Features
13) The Strange Case of me becoming a US citizen without even applying for it, thanks to the US Mint
14) US Bicentennial Coins
15) Commemorating the 225th Anniversary of U.S. Marshals with coins
16) American Gold Buffalo Coins
17) American Gold Eagle Coins
18) America the Beautiful Quarters - 2016
Links to other Commemorative Stamps posts on Indian Stamps issued during 2016:
1) Special India Post Cover carried in a dedicated Hot Air Balloon flown during the II International Hot Air Balloon Festival held in Pollachi, Tamilnadu, released by Tamilnadu Circle of India Post
2) "Vibrant India": Postage Stamps issued by India Post on this theme
3) MAHAPEX held at Nasik from 16-18.01.16: (Part 1) Spl. Covers on Pandu Leni Caves and Smt. Kusum Dhirubhai Mehta released by Maharashtra Postal Circle on 16.01.2016
4) MAHAPEX held at Nashik from 16-18.01.2016: (Part 2) Spl.Covers on Kalaram temple and Nashik "Grape City & Wine Capital of India" released by Maharashtra Postal Circle on 17.01.2016
5) MAHAPEX held at Nashik from 16-18.01.16: (Part 3) Spl. Covers on "Nashik Dhol" and "Dr. Anand Gopalrao Joshi" released by Maharashtra postal Circle on 18.01.2016
6) International Fleet Review - 2016 (IFR - 16) held at Vishakhapatnam from 04.02.16 to 08.02.16: Commemorative Postage stamps issued by India Post
Links to other Commemorative Stamps posts on Indian Stamps issued during 2014 and 2015:
1) 2014 FIFA World Cup held in Brazil - A set of four stamps issued by India Post.
2) Commemorative Stamps on "Swachh Bharat" Mission
3) Commemorative Stamps on "Project Rukmini"
4) Commemorative Stamps on "Indian Ocean & Rajenda Chola I"
5) International Day of Yoga - "Commemorative Stamps & Coins"
6) India-France - 50 Years of Space Co-operation - Commemorative Stamps
7) Commemorative Stamps on 50 years (Golden Jubilee) of "Engineers India Limited"
8) Bicentenary of the "Old Theological Seminary" (OTS) Kottayam, Kerala
9) Commemorative stamps issued on Nabakalabera (Jagannath Temple, Puri)
10) Commemorative stamps issued on an Indian Game called "Sagol Kangjei" originated in Manipur, from which Polo was adapted all over the World
11) Samrat Ashok - Commemorative Stamps issued on the legendary Emperor of Ancient India
12) Women Empowerment - Commemorative Stamps
13) Baba Amte - Commemorative Stamps
14) Did You Know Series (4): A sample of the beautiful stamps brought out by Department of Posts, India
15) 10th World Hindi Conference held at Bhopal - Commemorative Stamps issued by Department of Posts India
16) 50th Anniversary of the 1965 Indo-Pak War: Commemorative stamps issued by Department of Posts, India.
17) Commemorating the 125th Anniversary of the Birth of Dr. B.R. Ambedker by Department of Posts, India with a stamp titled "Dr B.R. Ambedkar and the Indian Constitution"
18) The "Charkha" or the Spinning Wheel: Commemorative stamps issued by the Department of Posts, India
19) Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam - Commemorative Stamp issued by the Department of Posts, India
20) 50th Anniversary of the Border Security Force (BSF): Commemorative Stamp issued by the Department of Posts, India
21) 3rd India- Africa Forum Summit at New Delhi - Commemorative Stamps issued by Department of Posts, India
22) Commemorating the Golden Jubilee of Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL): Commemorative Stamps issued by India Post.
23) Commemorating the Bicentenary of the Raising Day of the First and Third Gorkha Rifles: Commemorative stamps issued by India Post.
24) India-Singapore Joint issue: 50 Years of Bilateral Relationship: Two Commemorative Stamps issued by India-Post.
25) Celebrating 60 years (Golden Jubilee) of EEPC India: Commemorative stamps issued by India Post.
26) Centenary of the setting up of the Zoological Survey of India: Commemorative stamps issued by India Post
27) Celebrating Children's Day on November 14th - Commemorative Stamps issued by India Post.
28) Musicians of India - Commemorating Classical Musicians of India by issue of Stamps by India Post.
29) Sumitranandan Pant (poet and writer) : Commemorative postage stamps issued on him by India Post
30) Golden Jubilee of the Establishment of the IDSA, New Delhi: Commemorative stamps issued by India Post
31) 100 Years of Return of Mahatma Gandhi to India in 1915: Commemorative postage stamps issued by India Post
32) Commemorating Alugumuthu Kone, one of the first Freedom Fighters against the British: Commemorative Stamps issued by India Post
List of Commemorative Stamps Posts on stamps issued in 2013:
1) Commemorative Postage stamps on the "Wild Flowers of India" issued by India Post.
2) 100 Years of Indian Cinema: 50 commemorative stamps issued by India Post.
List of Commemorative Stamps Posts on Stamps issued in 2011:
1) Commemorative Postage Stamp of Rs.100/- issued on Mahatma Gandhi on Khadi Cloth for the first time ever by India Post.
List of Commemorative Stamps Posts on Stamps issued in 2010:
1) Princely States of Indore, Sirmoor, Bamra and Cochin : Commemorative Stamps issued by India Post
List of Commemorative Stamps issued in 2007:
1) 2550 years of Mahaparinirvana of the Buddha: Commemorative stamps issued by India Post
Postage Stamps from Thailand depicting Buddhist Jataka Tales:
1) Thailand postage stamps commemorating Buddhist Jataka Tales & celebrating Magha Puja Day (Part I)
2) Thailand Post stamps commemorating Buddhist Jataka Tales & celebrating Asalha Puja Day (Part II)
3) Thailand Post stamps commemorating Buddhist Jataka Tales & celebrating Visakha Puja Day (Part III)
4) Postage stamps from Thailand commemorating Buddhist Jataka Tales
Forever Stamps from United States Postal Service (USPS):
1) Forever Stamps: A Series of Stamps commemorating the "US Civil War 1861-1865"
Postage Stamps from the Bailiwick of Jersey:
1) "Man of Steel": A Superman movie. Jersey post stamps commemorating a local lad Henry William Dalgliesh who played Superman in the Movie
Postage Stamps from Gibraltar:
1) 800th Anniversary of the Magna Carta - the Universal guidepost/landmark in Liberty and Freedom: A miniature stamp sheet issued by the Gibraltar Philatelic Bureau