The Front of a CFP 500 Franc Banknote. On the top centre is the name of the issuing Bank “Institut d’emission d’Outre-Mer”. The denomination of the Banknote is mentioned in numerals “500” and the denominational value in words “CINQ CENTS FRANCS”. This face shows a Polynesian Fisherman at Marquesas Islands.
Tapa Cloth Patterns from Wallis Island:
Bird of Paradise flower (Strelitzia reginare)
In India, the name of the flower is “Champa” or “Chafa”, in Telugu it is “Deva ganneru” (meaning “divine nerium”), in Manipuri it is called “Khagi Leihao”, while in Persia it goes by the name “Yasmin”. In Sri Lanka it is called “Araliya” and in Hawaii it is “Melia”. In Cantonese it is called “gaai daan fa” (meaning “egg yolk flower” tree). In Thailand it is called “Leelawatee” while in Indonesia it is called “Kamboja”.
This flower finds several mentions in symbolism of Aztec and Mayan cultures. It is associated with temples in both Hindu and Buddhist cultures. It is the National flower of Nicaragua (“Sachuanjoche”) and Laos (“Champa”). It has also been written about in English, Hindi and Bengali poetry and literature.
The Gardenia taitensis or “Tiare” Flower is a species of plant in the rubiaceae family. Despite its name, this plant is neither native to nor naturalized in Tahiti. The plant originates from Melanesia and Western Polynesia.
The Back of a 1000 CFP franc Banknote
Horned Parakeet (Eunymphicus cornutus),
Kagu or Cagou (Rhynochetos jubatus),
Bellybutton (Nautilus macromphalus),
Pennant Coralfish (Heniochus acuminatus)
On the Back of the 5000 CFP Banknote are depicted a Coral and open Oyster with pearl, Humphead Wrasse (Cheilinus undulatus) and Siapo cloth patterns from Futuna Island.
Humphead Wrasse (Cheilinus undulatus):
On the Front of the 10000 CFP Banknote is depicted a stone pestle as a registration device and Tapa Cloth Patterns from Wallis Island, Oars, Far’e (or thatched hut) and Palm trees.
On the Back of the 10000 CFP Banknote are depicted Round huts, Jean-Marie Tjibaou Cultural Centre at Tina Peninsula, New Caledonia, a stone pestle, Kanak huts and Siapo Cloth Patterns from Futuna Island.
Jean-Marie Tjibaou Cultural Centre at Tinu Peninsula, New Caledonia:
A Kanak house/hut
1) a) Central Bank of West African States issues: the "Franc Financial Cooperation in Central Africa (FCFA) b) Bank of Central African Cooperation in Central Africa (FFCCA)
2) Coinage of the French Polynesian Island of New Caledonia ("Nouvelle Caledonie" in French) - the CFP Franc.
3) Financial Institution for issuing uniform currency/coinage for French Overseas territories in the Pacific & French Southern Territories of Antarctica "The Institut d'emission d'Outre-mer" (IEOM) for French Polynesia (Tahiti), New caledonia, Wallis-et-Futuna, and the erstwhile New Hebrides (present day Vanuatu)
4) 2014 Emission of Banknotes for French Polynesia (Tahiti), New valedonia, Wallis-et futuna and the erstwhile New Hebrides (present day Vanuatu)
Links to Posts on Australia, New Zealand and countries and Overseas Territories of the South Pacific on this blog:
1) Bank of Papua New Guinea: 36th Anniversary Celebrations (1973-2008): A Commemorative Uncirulated Coin Set consisting of a 2 Kina Banknote & a 2 Kina Coin
2) Papua New Guinea: An uncirculated coin set brought out in 1995 commemorating the 20th Anniversary of Independence
3) Currency & Coinage of the Soloman Islands: Dollars and Cents
4) New Zealand: New Banknote "Seventh Series" issued under Project "Brighter Money" from 2015 onwards
5) Coinage of the French Polynesian Island of Caledonia (or Nouvelle Caledonie) the CFP Franc
6) French Institution for issuing uniform currency/coinage for French Overseas Territories in the Pacific and the French Southern Territories of Antarctica: The Institut d'emmission d'outre Mer (IEOM)
7) Currency & Coinage of Samoa: Tala and Sene
8) Currency of the South Pacific Island Country of Fiji
9) Coinage of New Zealand: A commemorative coin set issued in 1979
10) Currency and Coinage of Australia: Dollars and Cents
11) The Australian Emblem or the Coat of Arms
12) The story of the Australian Penny
13) The Legend of the Mutiny on the Bounty: A Commemorative Coin Set from the Pitcairn Islands depicting relics from the Bounty issued in 2009
14) An Australian $5 coin issued in 1996, commemorating Australia's greatest cricketing legend - Sir Donald Bradman
15) New Series/Generation of Australian Banknotes being introduced from 01.09.2016 onwards starting from $5 issues
Some other interesting Links:
1) Honouring Louis Braille on the Bicentenary of his birth in 2009
2) Honouring Charles Eduord Jeanneret popularly known as Le Corbusieur, the French architect who built the modern city of Chandigarh & several other projects: A 10 Franc Banknote issued by the Swiss National Bank
3) Fort St. George Museum, Chennai (Part iii): i) Indo-Danish coins ii) Indo-Dutch coins iii) Indo-French coins iv) Indo-Portuguese coins
4) a) Central Bank of West African States issues: the "Franc African Financial Community" (FCFA) b) Bank of Central African States issues : the "Franc Financial Cooperation in Central Africa (FFCCA)
5) French Indo-China issues: A silver one Paistre coin issued in 1895
6) Financial Institution for issuing uniform currency/coinage for French Overseas Territories in the Pacific & French Southern Territories of Antarctica: The Institut d'emission d'outre-Mer (IEOM) for French Polynesia (Tahiti), New caledonia, Wallis-et-Futuna and the erstwhile New Hebrides (present day Vanuatu)
7) Coinage of the French Polynesian Island of New Caledonia (or Nouvelle-Caledonie in French) - the CFP Franc
8) Bicentenary of the Battle of Waterloo and Napoleon's exile to St. Helena (Part I): A one Crown Commemorative Coin issued by the Ascension Island
9) Bicentenary of the Battle of Waterloo and Napoleon's exile to St. Helena (Part II) : coins commemorating the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo: 1) A 5 GBP coin issued by the Royal Mint UK: 2) A "Drie Landen Zilverset" issued by the Royal Dutch Mint - which includes coins of Netherlands, Belgium and UK
10) Jeanne d'Arc or Joan of Arc or "The Maid of Orleans" or "La Pucelle": 200 & 50 Euro gold coins and 10 Euro Silver coins issued by Monnaie de Paris in July 2016
11) i)"Europa Coin Programme" or the Eurostar Programme ii) Monnaie de Paris has issued a series of six coins with the theme "The Age of Iron & Glass" in January 2017
12) 100th Anniversary of Auguste Rodin's passing away commemorated with gold and silver Euro coins issued by the Monnaie de Paris under its on-going "The 7 Arts" Coin Series
13) Statue of Liberty, Paris, France: "Treasures of Paris": Coin series issued by Monnaie de Paris on 20.01.2017
14) Marianne (or Liberty): "The Trilogy": A set of Euro denominated coins in Gold and silver brought out by Monnaie de Paris in January 2017