Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 October 2018

819) The "Strange Case" of the missing "Solar System Stamps" set from the Department of Posts, India or India Post even after 6 months have passed:

819) The "Strange Case" of the missing "Solar System Stamps" set from the Department of Posts, India or India Post even after 6 months have passed:

This is the third "Strange Case" that I am posting on my blog. The first one was titled "The Strange Case of the missing Test Coins" from the India Government Mint, Kolkata, while the second one was titled "The Strange Case of my becoming a US citizen thanks to the US Mint, even though I am a bona-fide citizen of India since birth".

In both the cases, the India Government Mints and the US Mint took steps to strengthen their processes, customer service .

Now for the third case, which pertains to India Post:

On 21.03.2018, India Post put up on their website, a sale of the Solar System stamps - including Mercury, Venus, Earth,  Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune, including First Day Covers (FDCs), Miniature Sheets, Full sheets, individual stamps etc.

I booked an order for the First Day Covers (FDCs x 2) - Stamp Code 2101- and Miniature Sheets (MS x 2) - Stamp Code 2102 - on 24.03.2018 along with several other items (Philately/Booking Order no. PHI181946585 dated 24.03.2018).

I received the other items a few days later, but not the Solar System First Day Covers (FDCs) and Miniature  Sheets (MS) and the covering letter was hand-stamp marked "STAMP CODE 2101, 2102 will be delivered later".

Nevertheless, despite several follow-ups with the epostoffice authorities, the said two items have still not been delivered. The gist of the correspondence exchanged and sequential narration of the developments in the matter so far, is as follows:

1) On 18.05.2018, I sent an email to epostoffice (Philately Division India Post) email - philatelydivision1@gmail.com and epostoffice help - email: epohelp@indiapost.gov.in requesting them to arrange for the despatch of the pending items.

Philately Division wrote back vide their email dated 21.05.2018 that "Stamp Code 2101 and 2102 will be despatched soon".

The email was sent to me under a hand-stamp marked Assistant Director General, Philately Division, New Delhi.

2) I wrote again through my email dated 09.06.2018 requesting them to advise the fate of my order, to which I received a response on 09.06.2018 itself - "Solar System MS has not been received from Printing press, it would be supplied as soon as we receive it".

3) On 28.06.2018, I wrote as follows to the Philately Division and epostofficehelp:

"What is the latest position on these two outstanding items.

If FDCs are available, then they can be sent separately, pending receipt of the MS from SPP Hyderabad. I still have two outstanding orders at epostoffice, which are under process/under despatch. The FDCs can be clubbed with any of these two orders, then only the outstanding items will be the two MS."

I received the following response from the Philately Division:

"We would be supplying the FDC and MS together. It would be difficult to manage all the records who and what we supplied separately".

4) Again on 28.07.2018, I wrote to the Epohelp and Philately Division as under:

"Whether any progress has been reported from the Security  Printing Press, Hyderabad on the pending items? Now that over four months have passed since I booked the order and the items are still pending, do you have an alternate plan of action, in case SPP, Hyderabad is not in a position to print the Solar System MS."

Philately Division wrote back on 30.07.2018:

"We appreciate your interest in the Solar System MS and are thankful for the same. We are awaiting supply from the Printing Press and are making concerted efforts to receive the same at the earliest. We shall be able to fulfil your order as soon as the supply is received"

5) On 28.08.2018, I wrote again to the Philately Division:

"Another month has passed and SPP, Hyderabad seems to have put the Solar System Stamps MS on the backburner.

Under the circumstances you could consider one/all of the under-noted options:

1) Set a deadline after which it will be assumed that SPP Hyderabad is not going to deliver the SS stamps Miniature Sheets. After that date, scrap the Solar System MS Order with SPP, Hyderabad and ship the FDCs which are lying with the epostoffice. At least, we will have the FDCs.

2) Take an administrative decision for refunding the amounts pertaining to the MS orders of Philatelists/customers.

3) As this is the second "fiasco" on the part of the SPP, Hyderabad (after the Coffee aromatic Stamps), perhaps a strongly worded letter to them may be in order.

This is just a suggestion as your department knows best on how to fulfil the Bookings/Orders".

I did not received any response to my above communication on whether the epostoffice has taken a final decision in the matter to resolve the issue.

6) I wrote again on 18.09.2018 to Philately Division:

"Almost six months has passed since the Solar System Stamps were advertised by the epostoffice on their website and bookings taken online. I have only been receiving routine replies to all my communications, while my last communication of 28th August 2018 has not even evinced a reply from you.

As a high value customer of the epostoffice almost since its inception, I am still not in a position to understand the fate of this Stamp issue. In the absence of a meaningful response from you on the steps taken for resolution of the matter and effecting deliveries of the booked orders for the Solar System Stamp issue/or refund of the sums to anxious customers who have booked the order with you, at an early date, I may have to seek a resolution of the matter through other channels including approaching the higher Postal Authorities/Ministry of Communications."

Again there was no response from the Philately Division.

7) On 22.09.2018, I wrote the following tweets to Shri Manoj Sinha, Minister (Communications) & Shri Narendra Modi (Prime Minister):
"@manojsinhabjp @narendramodi 

Tweet 1: I am a leading Philatelist & have many posts on my blog on Indian Stamp issues. Indiapost brought out a set of stamps set on Solar Systemin 03/2018. Not delivered even after 6 months"

Tweet 2: In continuation of my earlier Tweet, I took up several emails with the epostoffice for my undelivered Solar system Stamps order of 03/2018, but they have  advised that the stamps have not been received from the Security Printing Press (SPP) Hyderabad. Sad state of affairs".

I received the following response from @IndiaPostOffice on Twitter:

"Your concern forwarded to DDG (PHL) at his/her email ddgphilately@indiapost.gov.in, pleaseshare your email with him/her for resolution."

I replied to @IndiaPostOffice on 24.09.2018 as under:

"Thank you for the prompt response. I will take up with the DDG (PHL) as mentioned by you".

8) Thereafter I sent the above-mentioned sequence of communication to the DDG (PHL) on 26.09.2018, with a reminder today (03.10.2018), but am still waiting for a response including an interim acknowledgement of my email dated 24.09.2018.

In my email dated 26.09.2018 to the DDG Philately, I have included the following:

"I may add that in the meanwhile, I have stopped booking further orders from the epostoffice, where another  one of my orders PHI181953089 dated 21.08.2018 is still pending, despite over a month having passed by. I have written more than 350 posts on Indian Philately on my blog exclusivecoins.blogspot.com, which have been well received both in India and abroad and am one of the most popular bloggers in India on Numismatics, Philately & Banknote collection, the blog having been visited from over 190 countries and 4.2 million viewers.

I now request you to help resolve the issue at the earliest."

9) Still waiting, but sending a link of this post to @IndiaPostOffice  @Manojsinhabjp  @narendramodi for their information.

I will post further updates, in case this "strange case" of the missing Solar Stamps order fulfilment  gets resolved.

Posted on 10.10.2018:

The Assistant Director General, Philately Division , Dak Bhawan, New Delhi has written the following email today to the Security Printing Press, Hyderabad, with a copy to me:

"As there is an inordinate delay in supply of stamps to epostoffice, the business of epostoffice is being adversely affected. There has been numerous complaints even to the Minister's office due to non-supply of epostoffice orders to customers as the stamps are yet to be received at the epostoffice. You are requested to provide the exact expected date for supply of the epostoffice quota for the long pending stamps mentioned below:

1. Stepwells Mixsheetlet released in December 2017

2. Solar System Miniature Sheet released in March 2018 (only 150 Miniature sheets received)

3. Handloom Fullsheets released on 07.08.2018"

So we have finally found the causes for the delay - it is at the end of the Security Printing Press, Hyderabad, who had earlier made a fiasco of the Coffee Aromatic Stamps and the epostoffice is bearing the brunt of the customer's ire.

The case is now getting a direction. Will post further updates.

Posted on 05.06.2019:

I have yesterday (04.06.2019) received the Solar System stamps from the epost-office after a gap of almost one and a quarter years. 

Nevertheless, as my order has been received, the "case" is now closed.




12 comments:

  1. Santosh Khanna has commented:
    "Gr8 experience which you would not have had in service. I appreciate your decision of leaving SBI."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very true, Khanna sahab. Now I can write at the highest levels and get things set right. My experience in the Vigilance Deptt., LHO and Fraud Monitoring Cell of SBI (CC) is really coming in handy. Initially, the Govt. Departments take my communications lightly, but with RTI applications, making out Central Vigilance cases, and writing to their Board members, Central Govt. Ministers, they not only take me very seriously, but also learn a thing or two from me.

      Delete
  2. Raj Kumar Srivastava has commented:
    "What could be the motive behind it!?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There can be only two explanations, Raj: 1) They sold it to dealers who did not have a booking, sometimes this happens at a premium & thought they would re-order and supply to the customers who had booked online . 2) There was a goof up at the security 2) There was a goof up at the Security Printing Press, Hyderabad. They had earlier made a mess of the Coffee Aromatic stamps which were exorbitantly priced at Rs.100/- each and there was no aroma of Coffee. In any case my next step is to request their Vigilance Department to conduct a suo-motu investigation, if I do not receive anything in the next few days.

      Delete
    2. Raj Kumar Srivastava has further commented:
      "Both are probable.First more likely.It can happen only in India." :-)

      Delete
  3. Gds Banga has commented:
    " Arre koi sms number nahi hai epost ki complaint ke liye? Mantriyon ko Bhavnaon se khelne ke liye Woh ek achha sadhan mila hai. Karna Kuch nahi hota shikayatkarta thanda ho jata hai. Koi farak padta nahi hai inko. Abhi bank bana diya. Dekhna 2 saal men kya karte hain. Service sector Indian public sector men apvaad hi rahta hai. Aur monopoly service men aap soch sakte ho. But all credit to you for your blogs and knowledge. Lage raho."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have got a set procedure to get things done. Last time Nirmala Sitharaman, as commerce Minister and Manoj Sinha released Coffee Aromatic Stamps for an exorbitant priceo Rs.100/-. The stamps when they came, had no aroma except that of fresh stationery. I requested the Vigilance Deptt at India Post to conduct a suo-motu investigation into what went wrong. The entire process at epostoffice got changed and the Security Printing Press, Hyderabad's work also came under the lens. People at epostoffice know me quite well now. My next step here is going to be a request to post office vigilance to conduct a suo-motu investigation, writing an RTI application on what went wrong with the stamp issue. Keeps me busy and active :-)

      Delete
    2. Gds Banga has commented:
      I would not mind licking the stamp if it was smelling of coffee. Whipped coffee with sugar makes a great candy!"

      Delete
  4. Santosh Khanna has commented on my update of 10.10.2018:
    "Gr8 followup!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Khanna sahab. They are now clearly writing details to the customers. Now I have a chance to follow up with the security printing press, Hyderabad. I now have enough to go on.

      Delete
  5. Raj Kumar Srivastava has commented on my update of 10.10.2018:
    "Praiseworthy efforts indeed 👏🏻👏🏻"

    ReplyDelete