Since its founding, when a society called the "Grosses Concert (or "Big Concert") began performing in private homes until the next year when they found a permanent home at the "Three Swans Tavern" - their concerts continued at this venue for 36 years. However, in 1780, due to complaints by the local residents about the over-zealous behaviour of some concert-goers, the tavern was no longer considered a suitable venue.
In view of the objections, the Mayor and the City council of Leipzig offered to renovate one storey of the local Gewandhaus - a building once used by textile merchants now set aside for the orchestra's use.
As a token of its dedication to both their new venue and the city of Leipzig, the motto "Res severa est verum gaudium" (meaning "True joy is an earnest thing"), a phrase attributed to the Roman author Seneca, was painted in the main foyer.
The orchestra gave its first concert in their new home, the Gewandhaus" in 1781. With this enthusiastic start to their continued contribution to the musical culture of Leipzig, the Orchestra continued to build their reputation as a premier source of German music and exceptional talent.
Just eight years after the Orchestra relocated to their new home, the famed composer and performer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791) came to Leipzig and performed at the Gewandhaus, which ensured that the name of the Gewandhaus Orchestra of Leipzig became famous as a place of excellence and attracted all the important musicians of the day to perform here.
This reputation was only increased further, when in 1835, Felix Mendelssohn (1809-1847) became the Orchestra's music director, with the traditional title of Gewandhauskapellmeister, a post he retained until he passed away in 1847.
As the Orchestra grew in both number and popularity, and as several building extensions were added, the decision to build a new "Konzerthaus" (or "venue") was taken and the venue was inaugurated in December 1884 as the "New Gewandhaus". The building continued to be the home of the Orchestra until 1944, when it was destroyed during the Second World War.
The present Gewandhaus is the third building of the same name, which was completed by the government of the German Democratic Republic (GDR) and opened in 1981, which was the only concert hall constructed by the GDR. The present venue can accommodate 1,900 spectators in the great hall with an additional 500 visitors accommodated in Mendelssohn Hall.
The Great Hall's crowning glory is the majestic pipe-organ manufactured by the Potsdam based company Schuke and includes four manuals, 92 stops and 6,845 pipes. It also bears the original motto of the Gewandhaus hall "Res severa verum gaudium".
The period 2017-2018 marks the 275th birthday of the exceptional Gewandhaus Orchestra in which numerous anniversary celebrations will be part of the festive weeks with great concerts, chamber music, choral and organ concerts.
The culmination of all celebrations took place on 11.03.2018, the actual anniversary of the Gewandhaus Orchestra, with a special concert conducted under the direction of the new Kapellmeister Andris Nelsons.
Thereafter, until 30.06.2018, the Gewandhaus will host an exhibition which highlights the history of the Orchestra and its founding and highlights the people behind the scenes and looks into their future.
The Commemorative Coin issued on 08.03.2018:
The two faces Reverse and Obverse of the Silver 20 Euro Commemorative Coin seen together
The mint mark "G" is of the State Mint in Baden, Wuerttemberg. The 12 Stars of the European Union are placed below the stylised Eagle Emblem. Germany's official insignia.
The edge inscription is "RES SEVERA VERUM GAUDIUM", which is the original motto of the Gewandhaus Orchestra meaning "true joy is an earnest thing".
The coin has been issued in two variants - Proof and Uncirculated.
The specifications of the coin are:
Denomination: 20 Euro; Metal Composition: .925 Silver (Ag); Weight: 18.0 grams; Diameter/Size: 32.5 mm; Coin Quality: Proof & Uncirculated; Maximum Mintage: Proof - 130,000 pieces & Uncirculated - 800,000 pieces; Year of issue: 2018; Mint: State Mint in Baden, Wuerttemberg.
Remarks: The Uncirculated variant is available from 08.03.2018, while the Proof variant will be made available end 2018 for collectors.
1) Gewandhaus Orchestra of Leipzig: Celebrating the 275th Anniversary: A 20 Euro Uncirculated silver Coin issued by the Bundesrepublik Deutschland (Federal Republic of Germany) on 08.03.2018
2) Johann Carl Friedrich Gauss: A 10 Mark German banknote issued commemorating his contributions in 1990 which was in circulation till 2001
3) The 25 Euro Silver-Niobium Coin Series issued by the Austrian Mint: Third Coin: "50 Years of Television in Austria"
4) The 25 Euro Silver-Niobium Coin Series issued by the Austrian Mint: Fourth Coin: "European Satellite Navigation System"
5) The 25 Euro Silver-Niobium Coin Series issued by the Austrian Mint: Fifth Coin: "Austrian Aviators"
6) The 25 Euro Silver-Niobium Coin Series issued by the Austrian Mint: Sixth Coin "Fascinating Light"
7) The 25 Euro Silver-Niobium Coin Series issued by the Austrian Mint: Seventh Coin: " The International Year of Astronomy"
8) The 25 Euro Silver-Niobium Coin Series issued by the Austrian Mint: Eighth Coin: "Renewable Energy"
11) The 25 Euro Silver-Niobium Coin Series issued by the Austrian Mint: Eleventh Coin: "Tunnel Construction"
For posts on COTY (Coin of the Year) winners since 2015 in a competition held by Krause Publications of Germany, please visit the following links: