For more posts on this blog on "Tri-Material Coins" from the Federal Republic of Germany Mints, please visit the following links:
1) Planet Earth: The World's first "Tri-material" Coin - with an outer ring, inner core and an embossable blue polymer ring: An innovative 5 Euro Polymer coin issued by the Federal Republic of Germany in 2016
2) The Tropics Climate Zone (Climates of Earth) Coin Series: The second "tri-material Coin - with an outer ring,inner core and an embossable red polymer ring: Innovative Coin issued by the Federal Republic of Germany on 27.04.2017
3) Sub-Tropical Climate Zone: ("Climate Zones of Earth Coin Series"): The second "tri-material" Coin in the Series - with an outer ring, inner core and an embossable orange polymer ring, innivative coin issued by the Federal Republic of Germany on 26.04.2018
The Obverse of the 5 Euro coin shows a depiction of the Sub-tropics with their wet winters and Mediterranean climate. The flora and fauna typically found in this climate zone, like domesticated goats and the shrub-land which is shaped by their activities are convincingly shown.
The orange ring surrounds a typical Mediterranean pasture with a view of the coast-line and the sea. The centrally positioned tree represents the many "umbrella-crowned" species prevalent in this climate zone.
The Reverse of the 5 Euro Coin shows the German Eagle emblem, the country name "BUNDESREPUBLIK DEUTSCHLAND" (in German) on the lower periphery, face value "5 EURO" on the upper periphery, the 12 stars of the European Union (EU), representing the countries which had initially joined the EU and the year of issue "2018" below the Eagle emblem.
The coin is legal tender in the Federal Republic of Germany.
The specifications of this coin are:
Year of issue: 2018; Coin Quality: Brilliant Uncirculated and Proof; Metal composition: Copper, Nickel, Polymer; Diameter/Size: 27.25 mm; Weight: 9.00 grams; Minted By and Mint Mark: Berlin (A), Munich (D), Stuttgart (F), Karlsruhe (G), Hanburg (J). Each of the five German mints have struck a version of the Polymer ring with a different shade of orange; Edge Inscription: Embossed with the Inscription "KLIMAZONEN DER ERDE" (in German) - translating to "Climates of Earth"; Mintage: 300,000 pieces (Proof) and 2000,000 pieces (BU); Obverse designer: Patrick Niesel; Reverse designer: Stefanie Radtke.
The theme for the 2019 coin is "Temperate Climate Zone".
Links to posts on Federal Republic of Germany issues and other posts on this blog:
7) Temperate Climate Zone: (Climates of Earth Coin Series): The third "tri-material" Coin in the Series - with an outer ring, inner core and an embossable green polymer ring: Innovative coin being issued by the Federal Republic of Germany in September 2019
8) Graf Zeppelin: A 20 Dollar Silver coin and a 5 Dollar Gold Coin issued by Cook Islands in April 2017 to commemorate the 100th Death Anniversary of Count Ferdinand Adolf Heinrich August von Zeppelin (08.07.1838 - 08.03.1917)
For posts on COTY (Coin of the Year) winners since 2015 in a competition held by Krause Publications of Germany, please visit the following links: