The popularity of the Guardian Lions has risen steeply since then and presently, they are seen guarding entrances to hotels, restaurants and people's homes. The lions are usually shown in pairs - with a male lion resting a paw on a sphere and the female lion restraining a cub.
Coin Invest Trust AG (CIT) has dedicated this two-coin set to the popular Chinese Guardian spirits. The frosting presents the matted Lions in a contrast with the black proof background. Ornamental details give way to larger surfaces.
Although the coin features "2017" as the year of issue, the delivery was delayed due to the complex manufacturing processes involved and the coins were made available in March 2018.
Chinese numerals & the minted coin sets:
Interestingly, the numeral "8" is the Chinese lucky number which guarantees wealth, fortune, success and social status. The number of coin sets minted is "888" as a talisman to enhancement in wealth, fortune, success and social status.
Similarly, the numeral "2" is the epitome of harmony. That is why the weight of the individual coin pieces has been kept at "2" Oz.
On the Reverse of the first 10 Dollars Silver Coin is shown the male Lion resting its paw on a pearl in the shape of an embroidered ball. The background image is that of the architecture found in Chinese Temples.
On the Obverse of the first 10 Dollars Silver Coin is depicted a Chinese Guardian Lion from behind, in the field to the left.
The inscription on the upper periphery is "CHINESE GUARDIAN LIONS 2017". The emblem of the Republic of Palau (issuing country), designed as a vignette, with the inscription "Republic of Palau - 10 DOLLARS" is towards the centre right periphery.
On the Reverse of the second 10 Dollars Silver Coin is seen a frontal view of a female Guardian Lion, its left paw resting on a curled-up lion cub.
The specifications of the two coins are:
The Chinese Guardian Lions coins have been minted in black, proof sets through the Smartminting relief with incredible detail and depth. The lions themselves are minted in bright silver with greyscale printing accentuating the statues shape.
The lion pair coins are presented in a silky black collector's box
The two-coin set placed against a background of the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) and the black collector's/presentation box
The two coins as they are placed side-by-side in the black Collector's/presentation box
Links to posts on Australia, New Zealand and countries and Overseas Territories of the South Pacific on this Blog:
3) Currency & Coinage of the Solomon Islands: Dollars and Cents
4) New Zealand: New Banknote "Seventh Series" issued under Project "Brighter Money" from 2015 onwards
5) Coinage of the French Polynesian Island of Caledonia (or Nouvelle Caledonie) the CFP Franc
6) French Institution for issuing uniform currency/coinage for French Overseas Territories in the Pacific and the French Southern Territories of Antarctica: The Institut d'emmission d'outre Mer (IEOM)
7) Currency & Coinage of Samoa: Tala and Sene
8) Currency of the South Pacific Island Country of Fiji
9) Coinage of New Zealand: A commemorative coin set issued in 1979
10) Currency and Coinage of Australia: Dollars and Cents
11) The Australian Emblem or the Coat of Arms
12) The story of the Australian Penny
13) The Legend of the Mutiny on the Bounty: A Commemorative Coin Set from the Pitcairn Islands depicting relics from the Bounty issued in 2009
14) An Australian $5 coin issued in 1996, commemorating Australia's greatest cricketing legend - Sir Donald Bradman
15) New Series/Generation of Australian Banknotes being introduced from 01.09.2016 onwards starting from $5 issues
16) Southern Lights: A $1 Silver holographic coin issued by the Reserve Bank of New Zealand in January 2017
17) Currency & coinage of the Kingdom of Tonga : Pa'anga & Seniti
18) Postage Stamps & Coin: Commemorating the Centenary of the Trans-Australian Railway Line stamps issued by Australia Post & coins by Perth Mint on 04.07.2017
20) The Earth and Beyond Coin Series issued by the Royal Australian Mint (RAM): First coin in the series - The Earth - issued on 03.04.2018
21) Wedge Tailed Eagle Coin Series: 200 Dollars Gold, 100 Dollars Gold & 1 Dollar Silver coins brought out by the Perth Mint, Australia in its on-going series started in 2014 in collaboration with John Mercanti, Chief Engraver of the US Mint: Coins issued in 2018
2)Famous Pirates of the Caribbean: 3)Bartholomew Roberts or Black Bart Roberts
3)Famous Pirates of the Caribbean:4)Jack Rackham
4)Famous-pirates-of- the Caribbean : 5) Henry Avery
5)Famous Pirates of the Caribbean : 6) Sir Henry Morgan
6)Norse Goddess Freya - a Silver 2 Dollars High Relief antiquated Coin , the first in the Series titled "Norse Goddesses" (2017)
2) 150th Anniversary of "The Great Tea Race - 1866": Commemorative Coins in the denomination of 10 and 2 Dollars issued by Cook Islands in 2016
3) The Mystical Ancient Egyptian Labyrinth depicted on $10 Silver coins issued by Cook islands in 2016, under its "Milestones of Mankind Series".
4) King Arthur: The first coin in the six coins "Camelot Series".
5) Quilling Art: Silver 2 Dollars coins issued - Flowers (2016) & Bird (2017)
2) Four Leaf Clover - Coin titled "Silver Fortune" - A 5 Dollars Silver coin issued by Coin Invest Trust in 2018
3) Totem Pole 2 Oz. or 10 Dollars Silver coin from the Republic of Palau being issued on 12.06.2018
4) Chinese Guardian Lions: A set of two coins - male & female lions - in the denomination of 10 dollars issued by Coin Invest Trust on belalf of the Republic on Palau: Coins dated 2017, released in 2018
Links to Posts on coin issues from Niue Islands:
1) Battle of Marathon: Battles that changed History Coin Series: A $2 Silver coin issued by the New Zealand Mint of behalf of Niue Islands in 2018
2) Sachin Tendulkar: "World's Greatest Batsman": Gold & Silver coins issued by the New Zealand Mint on behalf of Niue Islands in 2015