Search This Blog

Friday 19 November 2021

2124) Leisure Time (Memories): State Bank of India, Hardoi Branch (Lucknow Circle): The "Youth Hostel":

2124) Leisure Time (Memories): State Bank of India, Hardoi Branch (Lucknow Circle): The "Youth Hostel":

"The Wheel of Time is constantly turning - Ages come and Ages go - leaving behind legends - and "memories".

Having joined the State Bank of India in 1982 as a Probationary Officer, I was assigned Hardoi (Lucknow Circle) Branch for my permanent assignment in 1984. This account is a recollection of my stay at Hardoi from 1984 to 1985.

I came to Hardoi with a suitcase and a backpack and started enquiring about my stay arrangements. I was clearly told by the Branch staff that as I was a bachelor, I would not be getting a proper accomodation in the city.

 I protested that there must be forced bachelors in the Branch who had their families in Lucknow - how were they managing? I was referred to a kindly elderly Banker who was balancing the Saving's Bank ledgers in a secluded room - Shri Bimlendu Mukherjee. He shared that there were five of them  - forced bachelors from Lucknow - living in a small two room set above a garage - S/shri H.N. Dwivedi, Jagjit Singh, V.K Agarwal, N.L. Merh and he himself. While Mr. Mukherjee had no problem with my joining the group, he had to ask the other officers. I was "admitted" to the "hostel" by a vote of 4-1 in my favour.

In the evening I found that there were six "charpoys" (cots) in the living quarters, which were raised in the morning while the five officers prepared their meals, taking turns at various kitchen/cooking assignments. I was shown a Primus stove for lighting up, but I had no idea how it worked. Then I was asked to roll a chapati, which came very close to looking like the map of India. Could I chop vegetables, someone asked? I drew a blank here too. So I was given the task of washing utensils in the bathroom. I reflected on my fate - an officer selected out of over 10.00 lacs candidates from all over India and spending my time washing utensils. In the morning I was assigned the task of preparing morning tea for everyone, which I did with Jagjit Singh's help.

During the day, I reflected that this process of cooking should change. I held a "hostel meeting" that very evening and set the ground rules. As the youngest in the group, I should henceforth "be treated as the oldest" and everyone should listen to my action plan in making life more comfortable for us.

 Also a register should be maintained on the expenses incurred, divided by six, which would be open to "auditing" at the end of the month and any personal expenses not incurred by the group would be deleted. The resultant expenses would be divided out among all five of us.

A "Maharaj/Maharajin" (Male/Female cook) would be hired for prepraring all the meals and also to buy the vegetables/provisions etc. This would leave everyone enough time to explore other avenues of checking out the city/visiting local friends.

Despite some opposition, this action plan was accepted by everyone. An elderly "maharajin" was appointed from the next day onwards on a salary of Rs.250/- per month. She was given Rs. 50/- extra for buying vegetables/provisions. The plus point for me was that as she had been appointed on my initiative, she was so happy that, she would always serve me the cooked vegetables and chapatis first, while the others had to wait their turn, leaving a lot of jealous faces everywhere and snide comments too

As I was assigned one of the toughest seats in the Branch - Government Business - I had two Assistants working on the counters. Every morning there would be a huge rush of unruly customers and Ram Ladhaitey (one of my counter assistants who was rather tall) would climb on his desk hurl the choicest abuses and get the customers to stand in a proper line, before starting his work. Thanks to him, I had learnt a whole lot of "cuss-words" which became very much a part of my vocabulary too. Upon being posted in the Human Resources Department, at the Local Head Office, Lucknow on my next assignment, I had a tough time "unlearning" the abusive language from my vocabulary.

I remember that on "Day One" I passed Treasury Bills of around 1.50 crores by the end of the day, a huge sum in those days. Almost, everyone at the branch came to see whether I was following the correct procedure to which I replied casually - "Never mind, I will learn gradually".

The plus point at the Government Business Desk was that there were three movie halls in the city and the managers came to deposit entertainment tax every day. Every once a week they would present me with a few options of the movies they were planning to screen next and invariably I would have a say in the selection. So all the "hostel inmates" would get a chance to see the evening/night show at the three movie halls. 

The arrangement was that we would pay for the tickets, get the last row seats in the balcony, while during the interval the coffee would be on the house. So we got to see three movies every week.

When I was transferred back to Lucknow, on the last day of my stay at the "Youth Hostel", the Maharajin prepared a special meal for us. I gave her a hefty tip.

I believe that the "Youth Hostel" continued for about a year or so after I left Hardoi, before it was wound up.




Links to some other short stories on this Blog by Rajeev Prasad:

1) Leisure Time Short Stories : Friends at the Crossroads










11 comments:

  1. Vinod Khurana has commented:
    "Old memories are always golden memories and very well crafted article. Great still you remember everyone's names even after more than 3 decades."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vinodji. A lot of time has passed. At least two of my "Youth Hostel" colleagues have passed away. I met one of them about a decade ago at a local SBI branch in Lucknow, where I had gone to close my accounts/locker. We chatted for a long time on the stories of our stay in Hardoi and remembered our old friends.

      Delete
  2. Rajan Trikha has commented:
    "Very interesting reality๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trikha sahab. Yesterday I somehow felt like writing about my stay at "Youth hostel" on my first permanent Branch posting in Hardoi. I have recounted this story so many times, that the names of all the officers has remained fresh in my memory.

      Delete
    2. Rajan Trikhahas further commented:
      "Reliving our past always seems to be amazing and brings back the cherished moments ๐ŸŒน๐ŸŽ‰"

      Delete
  3. Santosh Khanna has commented:
    "Gr8 experience. I joined the Bank in 1955 as Godown keeper at Rupadiha, a small township on the border of Nepal. A small room was provided by Sugar mill .The BM allowed me to stay in that room with the condition that I will not use the mess run by sugar mill for its staff. Just think that I who was new to the place how difficult it was to manage my food. Great old memories!!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Khanna sahab.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Satyajit Pratap has commented:
    "Great memories.... Delightful telling . Loved it and could empathise with you ...though I was pretty protective of my privacy , and avoided group stay ... ..did share a house with Deepak ar Ambikapur for few months .
    Tea reminds me of the piping hot tea served at thela opposite our house at Chattarpur .. Fortunately , I could cook ..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, Satyajit.

      Delete
  6. Lalit Roy has commented:
    "Great memories, good reading. Thanks for sharing."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lalit for visiting the post.

      Delete