Search This Blog

Sunday 12 January 2020

1199) THIS DAY IN HISTORY - 50 YEARS AGO: My First Day at La Martiniere College, Lucknow: 12.01.1970:

1199) THIS DAY IN HISTORY - 50 YEARS AGO: My First Day at La Martiniere College, Lucknow: 12.01.1970:


Five decades ago, on 12.01.1970, I joined La Martiniere College, Lucknow in Class VII.


 Only four new students had passed the Entrance examination for Class VII admissions - two Boarders (including me) and two Day Scholars. I had given my Evaluation Test at Our Lady of Fatima Convent School, Aligarh, managed by French Missionaries, and, as my father was a Senior Professor in the Medical College affiliated to the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), the La Martiniere College staff had sent the sealed Exam papers to our Principal there. This was necessitated as I was undergoing Class V Final Exams & could not come to Lucknow for taking the test. I performed rather well in my Final Year exams & had got a “double promotion” to Class VII for which I also received a citation from the Mother Superior of Lady Fatima School.


My parents drove me to La Martiniere College in my grandfather’s old model yellow FIAT – USQ-9000.

As we passed the College Library, where I would spend several hours reading later, I saw the Leader Board on the right with the Crests of all the Four Houses – Cornwallis, Martin, Hodson and Lyons displayed thereon. The Crest of Lyons House with the Lion Rampant, facing left seemed to call out to me. I wondered, as to why this House was spelt after a city in France.

We met Col. HRH Daniels, the College Principal, a little way up, walking with two of his Cocker Spaniels. He greeted us and requested us to wait for him in his office, while he deposited his dogs at his residence.

He caught up with us in no time at all. He quizzed me about my interests and was quite impressed with my credentials, particularly my academic achievements. Meanwhile, a staff member brought a slip of paper, which Col. Daniels glanced through and said that I had been allotted to Lyons House, which pleased me no end.

We went to the College sports outlet and collected Lyons House Games Shirts, two Badges – one displaying the Lyons House Crest and the other the College Crest - and sports shoes etc.

I was allotted to Third Dormitory (or “Third Dorm”) and given a “Boarder number B-112”, which was painted in white on my steel trunk. I was also allotted a bed and a locker.

I said my goodbyes to my parents. This was the first time that I was going to stay away from them. I made my way to Class VII B, was a little late, so I entered through the “back door”. I made friends with Sanjeev Deengar (a day scholar), who became a very good friend, who also helped me out with the allotment of a desk and course books/stationery. Mr. K.B. Lyall was our class teacher, who was also a Hindi teacher.

 I also learnt that henceforth, I would be called by my surname Prasad and only sometimes called Rajeev. So, we had Deengar, Singh, Ledlie, Khan, Bhatnagar, Tandon, Gupta, Banon, Upadhyay etc.etc. The College Warden Mr. Lawrence who was a strict disciplinarian always called me “Sahai” for some strange reason. Despite my pointing out, several times, I was always “Sahai” for him.

At lunch time, we had to gather in House-wise troops and march to the dining hall. I felt as if I had joined the Army. The waiters all wore House colour cummerbunds and badges. After saying grace, we sat down for lunch, house-wise at the long dining tables.

I learnt, that if you did not like a food item that was served at the particular meal, you could raise your hand and “auction” it off to someone who did not mind a second helping, for something he would give you in exchange at another meal, say, a bun exchanged for a banana or a jam tart exchanged for a patty and so on. This system held me in good stead, because, I hated eating bananas which were served at lunch practically every day, and I could exchange them for something that I liked – I still hate eating bananas and my wife Sumita insists, that I should, at least now,  get over this old college time phobia.

After school was over, I went for cricket practice for Lyons Colts, as we had a tough match coming up against Cornwallis Colts who had a dreaded fast bowler in their team.  A few days later, when the match actually took place, I remember, that, despite my having hit a six and a four, and taking two wickets, we lost by two runs, but it was an “honourable” defeat.

After Games, we went to Prep classes, where we could catch up on our allotted homework or brush up on our studies.

After dinner, it was time to call it a day. We went to our allotted bunks and I felt quite satisfied with having had a rather busy and fruitful day and making new friends.

After light out, the boy on my right bunk started crying out loudly. A lot of shouts went up. “Slap him!! Slap him!! Quiet!! Shut up!!” was the refrain. I shouted back, “Give him a break. Let me talk to him”.  I found out, that, he was also from Lyons House, studying in Junior School in Class IV and felt home-sick. He was also frightened of ghosts who “roamed throughout the College” at night, which someone in his class had scared him of. I told him that we were like brothers and that I would take care of him while we were in College, and there was nothing to fear about being alone or of ghosts, which calmed him a bit and he dozed off.... 

The next day, I had a brainwave. I told this young lad that if he could keep a little secret then we were going to become great “ghost story-tellers” ourselves. He was very interested. We spent the next few days collecting and collating all the “ghost stories” which were doing the rounds of the corridors of Mart and gave them our own “spin”.

 A few days later, on a weekend, after lights out, I told my first ghost story - hearing the sounds of the Nawab of Oudh’s horsemen going out of the Junior School building, late one night, (which was used as stables for the Nawab’s cavalry at one time more than a century ago). Then my second story, about the tree near the College Gate, which shook violently, even in a still atmosphere and made a groaning/eerie sound, (like it was possessed by tree spirits), when I was trying to catch up on my studies at 5.00 AM one morning, an occurrence, which did not happen, when other guys tried to sit on the bench near the tree during early hours. The story of a boy trying to carve out his name on a pillar, after hanging out from a railing in Third Dorm with one hand and falling down, several years before our time also engaged everyone’s fascination. There was also the story of a junior school English teacher from another time, taking her classes again and again in the still of the night, caught in a time warp. Her teaching voice would suddenly stop and one could only hear the breeze in the trees.

 My co-conspirator backed me in all the Ghost tales, by saying he too had heard the horsemen shouting and galloping by, before vanishing into the night and an apparition passing by his bunk towards the dorm railings, disappearing and then hearing a desperate “Help me”, and he too had experienced the “vibration and shaking” in that particular tree and so on.

The other third dorm guys first thought that we were making up stories, but slowly our reputation as “Ghost story tellers” and as people with a “Sixth Sense”, seeing apparitions and all, grew and we were much sought after for more and more tales of ghosts caught in a time warp roaming the corridors of Mart. The fascination of other-worldly “visits” always caught everyone’s imagination and our stories, “first-hand” experiences were heard with trepidation and horror.

Other students began avoiding taking “pangas” with us, lest we would put a hex on them or get one of the ghosts to haunt them.








Links:



33 comments:

  1. Saroj Nanda has commented:
    "Very interesting indeed. I think it is only in India that we call people by their last names (surnames). The ghost stories were fascinating. I remember the ghost (?) ride on your scooter."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Nandaji. The ghost lift still "haunts" me sometimes during sleep. You still remember it!!

      Delete
  2. Vikram Bhatnagar has commented:
    " Talk of spinning yarns; we have, here, a true blue, real tale teller! What talent, Rajeev Prasad, gripping narration to say the least!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Vikram for the wonderful remark/comment. Made my day. Been missing your incisive and encouraging comments for a long time.

      Delete
  3. Clayton Roberts has commented:
    "Great memories. I too heard plenty about the ghosts in 2nd and First Dorms but no first-hand ghostly experiences."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maheep Kumar has commented:
    "Wow Rajeev you remindef me of my grand mother who used to narrate different stories about Raja, Rani, angles, bhoot etc.at bed time. I think you should compile a book of your old memories, that will be interesting to read."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maheep. This was a different time, when there were no social media channels. Anyone who could "tell a tale" (particularly from the other-world) was held in great "esteem". I remember just a few of them now. 😀

      Delete
  5. Rattan Nath has commented:
    "Rajiv and I were in the same class at Our Lady of Fatima in Aligarh when he decided to leave for Lucknow. He was at the top of the class. I was consistently holding the opposite end with 33% being the constant challenge. But as fate would have it, the same year I was dispatched to Scindia School in Gwalior.
    I must say the experience was life-changing with all the history of the Scindias and Jhansi and the fort at Gwalior (where the school is located). I learned to love cricket, field hockey, horse-riding, swimming, and many other activities despite being a petite and a physically weak sort of boy.
    I came back after a year of whining to get back home while Rajiv soldiered on to bigger achievements. My mom later confided that Scindia School was too expensive anyway. So, whining was a great decision with lots of synergies to back it up.
    Upon my return from Scindia school, I was a different kid. I steadily did better till I graduated at the top of the class to the absolute astonishment of not just me but just about everyone--I was widely expected to flunk instead. I even managed to get a National Science Talent Scholarship. Our Lady of Fatima is a tough school and managing that is not easy.
    So, Rajiv did me a favor by leaving the top spot open.
    Thank you Prasad urf Sahai."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rajeev Prasad Thank you, Rattan for this extremely moving and beautiful narration. I don't think I had anything to do with your achievements, which were entirely your own. Loved reading the account. Took me back several years. Your narration made time stand still and bring back the "ghosts" of the past at Our Lady of Fatima.

      Delete
    2. Rattan Nath has further commented:
      "It is not really achievements that made it interesting. It is the company that challenges one. You were an inspiration. And the coincidences in the trajectories.
      You set a standard and it had to be met by the rest of us."

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Rattan for the wonderful sentiment.

      Delete
    4. Rattan Nath has further commented:
      "Rajeev Prasad BTW Sister Stainslaw passed away at 3:20 AM last night. She ran Our Lady of Fatima for like forever. I am not sure if she took over before you left or just after."

      Delete
    5. This is extremely shocking news. I was one of her favourite students. No, she had not taken over at the time I left. Don't know why, but I was thinking of her only yesterday.

      Delete
    6. Rattan Nath has further commented:
      "Coincidences again."

      Delete
  6. Vineeta Jain has commented:
    "Oh Wow! That was interesting !! So you're a story teller right from your school days!! No wonder ghosts still find you! You're their pal for decades!! Who is better than an old friend for a ride on a highway!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vineeta. I still get vivid (weird?) dreams whenever a calamity is about to befall in the family. There is a "standing instruction" from all the family members, that whenever I get such a dream, I should give them "at least one week's notice" to wind up their affairs in this world.

      Delete
  7. S.K.Srivastava has commented:
    "Interesting stories Rajeev being percolated now with your wonderful reminiscences."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tahir Zaidi has commented:
    "Rajiv and I Were classmates from 1973 to 1976 in La Martiniere Lucknow."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We were Tahir. We had a great time we had in College.

      Delete
  9. KanuPriya Jhunjhunwala has commented:
    "Reads like an Enid Blyton tale! My ten year old loved it. From a fellow banana phobe, kudos!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, KanuPriya. Much appreciate. Everyone seems to like bananas. Could "auction" them off in no time at all. Will share this information with my wife. Maybe she will stop pestering me. 😀

      Delete
  10. Satyajit Pratap has commented:
    "What a lovely write up ....laced with wonderful anecdotes. Wish you could post some photos of that period."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Satyajit. Sorry, got no photos. At that time memories were the only "treasure" one had.

      Delete
  11. Raji Shah has commented:
    "Well done.You forgot the one of Hodson walking with the head of the horse in his hands. You also forgot about the squirrel catchers and....."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Raji. By the time we left Mart, we knew of some 50 stories. They are slowly coming back to me.

      Delete
  12. Krishnayya Ramadana has commented:
    "Rajeev..how did you manage to remember a day (albeit a special one joining two classes higher after receiving a double promotion and also the first day of joining the boarding) 50 years back.....I think your memory is superb and beyond compare because I cannot imagine you making notes of that day at such a young age.....and recollecting so much stuff that is so old and then writing it down so well is phenomenal.....compliments to you......"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Krishnayya. It was a memorable day. Perhaps the only one out of five years at Martiniere that I remember so vividly. We used to have a two hour essay writing class every Monday morning in classes 8, 9 and 10. We were asked to write on our first day at college in at least two separate classes. I remembered parts of these essays.

      Delete
  13. Kochin Wu has commented:
    "Wonderful. You captured the right imagery. It was just like in our time. Congratulations. I was engrossed."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kochin. I attended the last OMA Pune Chapter Reunion. Met a lot of guys who were remembering you.

      Delete
    2. Kochin Wu has further commented:
      "Thank you Rajeev. Many of my school mates were there at the Pune meet."

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing useful information with us. please keep sharing like this.
    And if anyone like to take admission in Dehardun then check this.

    Tula's Institute Best Mechanical Engineering College in Dehradun

    ReplyDelete