Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 September 2021

2045) Did You Know Series (54): The Pune Wine Festival: The Experience 2) Some of the The Wines:

2045) Did You Know Series (54): The Pune Wine Festival: The Experience 2) Some of the The Wines:

When I settled down in Pune in 2007, I developed an abiding interest in wines, as Maharashtra is one of the most prolific Wine growing regions in the country and has experimented with several popular grape varieties grown across the Globe.

Naturally, I was very excited to attend the next Pune Wine Festival to acquaint myself with the Wine producing/importing houses/groups in the State.

As the names of the participating groups were placed online by the Organisers, I downloaded lots of information regarding the wines which I wanted to examine/purchase, particularly, as there was a 10-30% discount on the printed prices mentioned on the labels.

When we got to the venue, there was an entry fee of Rs.500/- per person (for drinkers/samplers), while there was no charge for the wine non-drinkers. I was handed an information booklet and a wine-glass for sampling wines. To segregate the two groups, a paper arm band was placed on the wrist of the drinkers. I felt like a "convict" on parole.

There was a very enthusiastic counter-manager at the first counter we visite, who wanted me to sample his latest wine. I looked at Sumita and said - "Too bad, You can't sample the wines".  He immediately came back with - "Why not Ma'am?" and fished out a new glass, for her to sample. 

The trick to wine tasting is that after you have taken in the bouquet/aroma, examined the "legs" of the wine on the sides of the glass, taken a sip, swirled it around your mouth, then you are required to spit is out in a barrel kept for the purpose on the side of the stall, wait for your taste buds to give you a "final  report" etc. etc. then you comment on the quality/structure/balance of the wine. 

Promptly after going through this "ritual" Sumita was asked about her experience. She came up with "Isme Muli ka flavour hai" ("The wine tastes of radishes"). The Manager was greatly amused and said, "this was the first time I have heard this one" and promptly went on to make a diary entry for further research.

I made a note to myself - This Vine growing region is quite close to a radish field. The Groundwater flow from a radish field finds its way to the wine-growing region of this estate, as such, this has happened.  

Nevertheless, we moved onto the next stall and the next one. I held onto my wine glass tightly, but after the umpteenth stall, I noticed that the glass had changed. When I looked at it again, I was holding a third different glass. I must have bought several wine bottles, and as it was becoming difficult to carry them around, I thought I should go and park the bottles in the Boot of my car. I showed my wrist-band to the security person at the gate and told him I would be back for more. 

I landed at a counter, where the sales-manager seemed somewhat nonchalant, but he got enthusiastic when he sensed I was a big customer, who knew about wines and was a wine enthusiast. Upon making my purchases, I noticed that this counter had a few caps with the winery logo on them. I managed to get two caps from here.

On the next counter, they were selling Italian imported wines. My research on the Marches region and Italian wines paid off. I bought two of the Verdicchio Wines from this counter and got a complementary wine glass to boot, which I still have with me.

The next counter was also retailing Italian and Spanish Wines. I placed my printouts of this company's website and authoritatively mentioned the wines that I had identified for purchase. A very senior person who who sat among the staff at the stall (who later identified himself as the Managing Director of the Company), looked at my printout, kept it to one side, and told me that they were not retailing any of those wines, much to my disappointment.

He invited both Sumita and I to come around the counter and sit down on the empty chairs by his side. He kept instructing his juniors to open bottle after bottle of choicest Spanish & Italian wines for us to sample and was very impressed by my enthusiasm for wines.  He even asked his counter staff to bring out a wine bottle, which the staff was hesitant to do so, indicating that only one bottle had been brought by them, but he insisted firmly that it should be opened for us - it was one of the best wines that we had ever tasted

I told him that since the counter did not have any of the wines I had selected, I would be happy, if he made a fine selection for us. He said he would do so and have the wines delivered at our residence from their Mumbai Office. 

I was treated as a personal acquaintance of the MD's and over the next two years imported wines were delivered to my residence at hugely discounted prices.

I noticed that a foreign couple had been following us and went to every counter we went to and were listening/aping to everything that I was saying or doing. They identified themselves as employees of a foreign firm based in Pune and were new to wine tasting. I wished them the very best in their endeavour.

 When we reached the snack/food stalls, I realised that I had only about some small change left in my purse. Too bad, the Credit Card App was not working here.

By the end of our outing I was holding two glasses, which I don't know anything about, three caps, and had purchased a Boot-full of memorable wines.

An assortment of some of the Italian & Spanish Wines which were bought at the Pune Wine Festival or delivered to my residence





Links to posts on Wines:











20 comments:

  1. Santosh Khanna has commented:
    "Very interesting! Cheers."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lalit Roy has commented:
    "I found your very writeup interesting and it especially appealed to me as my daughter is a wine enthusiast and has appeared for and qualified in a couple of world level tests. I don't know what they're called. One was held in China in 2016 where students like her had come from all over the world. The accreditation/certification is given by a British organisation which is recognised globally. She has worked for a fine wines and liquor importer in Gurugram who gets fine wines and spirits from all over the world. She would bring home samples once in a while to my joy. She's done many promotions in Delhi, Bombay and Bangalore. She's now in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lalit for visiting this post. Nice to know about your daughter's work and accomplishments in the field of wines. My interest in wines was very recent, after I came to Pune. Dabbled with a few hobbies including this one.

      Delete
  3. Sanjay Randhar has commented:
    "Quite an interesting narrative.. will have to visit Pune to taste your collection 🍷"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rajan Trikha has commented:
    "Dear Rajeev l am tempted to reach Pune for the best wine treat at your place. Such a scintillating narrative .Now expect me in near future 🍷🍷"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the beautiful sentiment, Trikha sahab. You are always welcome to visit us.

      Delete
  5. Shailendra Vyas has commented:
    "How old is the stock Rajeev ?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going back a few years. I keep adding to it, whenever I visit a wine shop.

      Delete
    2. Shailendra Vyas has further commented:
      "Then we need to carry out stock audit."

      Delete
    3. Anytime , Shailendra. 😀 Would love to have you over.

      Delete
  6. Vikram Bhatnagar has commented:
    "Very entrancing narrative! Your write up had me stuck to the words as I travelled your journey alongside! In fact I at times I even felt the taste, if that's at all possible! 🤔
    There are also excellent local Wines produced in several homes in Coorg, in and around Madikeri and all over the Nilgiri Hills, right up to the origin point of river Cauvery, which in itself is a Heavenly place! Perhaps the elixirs in the place have their origin in "Samudra Manthan," creating "Som Rasa," as the hills have sandy mud! It is recorded that Sage Agastha meditated at the Cauveri Udgam sthal. The range, both in terms of price and basis of flavours (fruits, vegetables and spices and, their combinations) is mind blowing!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Vikram for your very encouraging comment. The description of wine culture prevailing in the Nilgiri Hills and Ancient India is indeed very informative. I may add to this list, the fruit wines of Himachal - Apple, Rhododendron, Plum, Apricot which are quite popular. I was visiting a friend in Chandigarh and he introduced me to these. Also Rhythm Wines in Maharashtra has experimented with strawberry, kiwi and Pineapple wines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vikram Bhatnagar has further commented:
    "Coorg does all these plus, Jackfruit, Passion fruit, Cashew, Carrot, Ginger, Garlic, All Peppers, Grapes and, God knows what all! You must visit the area, villages abound with freshly concocted Wines which taste just great!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did visit Coorg a few years back, but it was mostly for site-seeing. Have noted to sample the local wines, if I ever get to visit again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pushkin Sinha has commented:
    "Very interesting and exciting Rajeev. Your every word speaks of your taste and passion of wines ..... Iremember one such in Scotland during my visit.....wine tasting and your description took me back to English people who are known for their taste of life in every walk ......wine as people say keep people healthy with the age definitely a priceless buy always. You always gives us inspiration to look finer aspects of life which we people often forget in this long race of competition.....great keep sharing"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words and interesting bit of personal information about your visit to Scotland. I just dabble with a few interesting hobbies, which I picked up after retirement from SBI. Keeps me busy and inquisitive for knowing more.

      Delete
    2. Pushkin Sinha has further commented:
      "Your hobbies also takes us back to the time of our old hobbies......I remember I had a very rare stamp collections as back as in 1966.....and I had about 500 very rare stamps and first day covers....all the years I kept them safe somewhere in house .....whenever there is a so called cleaning of house by the ladies of house which ultimately throw rare books and other hobbies related matters.....ultimately I shifted some boxes to my other house to safeguard my interest and passion of books, shers and shayrees and stamps....some coins too I think I had......now waiting for an opportunity to open them one by one ....let us see ...when that time will come..."

      Delete
    3. I think the time is now to check out your interesting collection, Pushkin.

      Delete